10 ridiculous and awesome reasons you should go to Kosovo
The balkans are not for everyone. Some people just can’t hang with the lifestyle here, so I have devised a list of 10 considerations that would be a good litmus test for whether or not you may enjoy a trip to Kosovo.
1. You enjoy riding in Mercedes. In Kosovo, I can personally guarantee you can enjoy a ride whichever era Mercedes suits your personal style for very low prices- 2-3 euros. This experience can be yours. Luxury for the common man available in the Balkans.
2. Ugly artitecture makes you swoon a little bit (or a lot – no judgement). You want to see some remarkably ugly buildings? Sometimes things are so ugly they become a masterpiece. Look no further, Pristina the capital city has you covered.
3.You have a high alcohol tolerance or desire to develop one. The local raki can make an experienced imbiber have some second thoughts. At some point along the line it becomes delicious.
4. You would like to enjoy the park in your underwear and a hat made out of newspaper. No one is looking, feel free to be yourself in Kosovo.
5. You dream about meat products. If you dream about greasy meat products wrapped in filo dough – even better. You dream about meat product wrapped in filo dough at ridiculously low prices? What are you still doing wherever you are – get to Kosovo now!
6 & 7 You have never stayed in a truly awesome hostel run by kick ass albanian brothers and/or you do not know how to properly eat a kiwi.
Enter Han Hostel . It is run by two albanian brothers who also make the hostel their home and create a small intimate atmosphere. I would not stay anywhere else in Pristina. If you don’t know how to eat a kiwi, Asdren the younger brother can teach you as you can see here – http://www.qysh.me/marketing-2/qysh-me-konsumu-kivi-ne-menyre-evropiane Check them out at www.hostelhan.com
8. You enjoy spending long hours drinking coffee and gossiping in the sunshine in the presence of many old men doing the same thing. Cause lets be honest, there is not a ton to do here. This is a primary activity and it is golden. The coffee here will knock your socks off as a bonus.
9. You want to be able to smoke anywhere/anytime. I can mention also that it is ridiculous cheap to do so and there is a large selection of knock off name brand cigarettes available. (Don’t worry Mom – I abstain!)
10. You want to try energy drinks that for sure are illegal elsewhere. A potent cocktail of chemicals never hurt anybody, what are you waiting for?
If any of the 10 sound good to you I strongly encourage you to make a trip to Kosovo. While these are not the main highlights I do feel like they provide an accurate benchmark for whether or not you can truly get into the balkans spirit.
If you are looking for a little something more wholesome in your experiences, Pristina has this to offer you .
Hey – it’s something.